Have you ever needed a simple something to do something simple but without the simple item the thing was anything but simple? For instance here recently I had some zip ties I needed to cut - simple enough. Except I didn't have the simple item of scissors or a knife that I could grab. So I had to improvise and the simple task wasn't simple at all. I eventually succeeded but I wasted time and energy trying to figure it out.
Isn't that like us though with Christmas? The season is so simple - but we forget the simple thing that makes it simple. We pollute the holiday with things we think are important and complain about how crazy and complicated this time of year is - but in the end, we truly have forgotten the simple truth that this season is about one thing and one thing only - Jesus! Yes, gifts are great, but we wouldn't have gifts to give if God didn't send his gift - His Son to be born. The simplicity of the season is Jesus came for a reason to reveal God's will and decree freedom has arrived!
Luke 1: 26-38 (NIV)
In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” 29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.” 34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?” 35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. 37 For no word from God will ever fail.” 38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.
A SIMPLE YES TO GOD - CAN SIMPLY CHANGE THE WORLD.
Virgin & Ordinary
• there was nothing outwardly amazing about her. What was amazing about her was her reverence for God and her humility.
DON'T UNDERESTIMATE YOUR ORDINARY IN THE HANDS OF AN EXTRAORDINARY GOD
• She was chosen by God to birth the savior
• She was full of faith - let it be done as you’ve said
UNDERSTAND THAT SHE DIDN'T SEEK A SPOTLIGHT. SHE WAS SATISFIED WITH STAYING TRUE TO HER DAILY RESPONSIBILITIES WITHOUT SEEKING PUBLIC ATTENTION. GOD'S PLAN FOR EACH OF US DOESN'T EMERGE FROM OUR DESIRE FOR STATUS OR OPPORTUNITIES. INSTEAD, IT INVOLVES USING OUR UNIQUE GIFTS TO SUPPORT OUR HOMES AND HIS CHURCH. GOD WANTS US TO LIVE RIGHTEOUS LIVES, EVEN IF OUR ACTIONS GO UNNOTICED. HE DESIRES OUR HEARTS TO REMAIN SENSITIVE TO HIM, AND FOR HIS WORD TO GUIDE OUR THOUGHTS. HIS INTENTION IS THAT WE LIVE WITH THE GOAL OF SHARING THE LIFE-CHANGING MESSAGE OF JESUS' SALVATION. LIKE MARY, HIS WILL IS FOR US TO LOVE THOSE AROUND US, SERVE WHERE NEEDED, VALUE HIS PRESENCE ABOVE ALL ELSE, AND WHEN AN OPPORTUNITY ARISES AND GOD GIVES THE GREEN LIGHT, WE RESPOND WITH A RESOUNDING "YES, LORD!"
Luke 1:38 (NIV)
I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.
OUR PART IS AGREEMENT
A yes to God is the beginning of our best life. The first yes is to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior! The second yes is to be a vessel for Him to use!
• The first yes means full surrender - not partial surrender
• Surrender and trust are needed because when God moves and guides things get harder! You need to be all in!
3 things Mary had to endure that we can draw from as we agree to let God work in us :
• Ridicule for being a virgin and pregnant (those around you may not understand what God is doing in you & through you but they will eventually see it)
• Birthing the savior in a manger (it's not always going to look pretty but don't despise the work because of the surroundings)
• Fleeing for her life to a foreign country (the enemy doesn't like your simple yes - but the work to fulfill the promise is simple for God. If He leads you He will sustain you!)
GODS PART IS THE EMPOWERMENT
The work God wants to do in you may not make you super popular. But it will lead to populating of heaven.
• The work God does is life-giving not an easy life
• There will be pain in the process - but God will empower you to do simple and mighty things that will impact many people
Acts 1:8 (TPT)
But I promise you this—the Holy Spirit will come upon you and you will be filled with power. And you will be my messengers to Jerusalem, throughout Judea, the distant provinces—even to the remotest places on earth!
GOD'S WILL IS US TOGETHER WITH HIM BEING VESSELS OF TRANSFORMATION
• Your insignificance in the hands of a powerful God can transform you and those around you.
Don’t discount the work of God in you.
It all started with Mary and a simple yes. Mary agreed. God empowered. Those two together led to Jesus coming and that has led to countless many lives being transformed.
Will you let God start a work in you today? Will you answer yes? Will you let God simply change the world through you?